Monday 11 May 2015

Thoughts from Places - Day Three: What's Golden

We hit the road a little before 9am.  We had a long drive through the mountains to do today.  Our original plan was to leave Vancouver and stay in Revelstoke for the night.  However when we got to Revelstoke we where a little more ambitious and pushed on for another hour or two.  Finial we pitched our first tent of the trip in Golden.  In the shadow of the mountains behind us.


All I could think about during the drive was how un forgiving the terrain was.  Steep mountains, rocky cliffs and rushing white water was in abundance.   We at least had a nicely paved trans-Canada highway; how in the hell did the settlers manage it?  The land scape really made me want to play "Red Dead Redemption" again.




I love westerns (as you can probably guess from my hat).  I love the hollywood image as well as the historical fact.  Trying to cross the rockies by foot, wagon or horse seems to me to be next to impossible.  Canada defiantly must have had some trail blazers in her past.  I should find out more about it.

For now I am going to enjoy a beer, sit in front of the fire and gaze out over the mountains.



Kevin and Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment