Wednesday 18 January 2017

Bat-Fleck

I finished up the newest version of Batman yesterday, Ben Affleck Batman.  It is a simple model, but especially nice to paint.  I tried a few different ways to work up the black/grey to try and differentiate the body from the head/cape/gloves/boots. Then, I softened the grey with a a few thinned down stains of Nuln Oil.

When I heard that Ben Affleck was going to be Batman, I was pissed.  I had never been a big Affleck fan.  I thought he was OK in some of his movies but not great, and definitely not right for the role of Batman.

However, I said the same things about Heath Ledger, and boy was I wrong about that one.  I am not saying that Affleck's take on Batman was anywhere near as incredible as Ledger's Joker, but he was better than I expected.  

I don't think I have seen enough of Affleck's Bruce Wayne or Batman to make a full judgement, which is funny since he had a whole movie with Superman.  There was just so much going on in Batman V Superman to really focus on his portrayal.  I liked how he looked tired and just a little bit angry all the time though.

His cameo in Suicide Squad was fun (although they really should have just done a live action version of Assault on Arkham!).  I guess I will have to wait for Justice League and the eventual Batman stand alone to shore up my opinion.

I really want to try this Batman version out in a few games.  I honestly don't know which one I like more, compared with Arkham City Batman.  Arkham City Batman has total vision and remote controlled Baterangs, which are really fun!  Also the Martial Expert rule (CRTs on 4+!) is amazing.  Ben Affleck Batman on the other hand is really nice in close combat with Martial Artist (can't be outnumbered), Close Combat Master (re-roll to hit roles) and Sustained Defense ( 3 block dice for every 2 DC spent).  I guess it will be decided on the table top.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment