Saturday 21 March 2015

Week Three: Shang and 1 Ronin

Week three is underway.  I was able to finish up Shang (Misaki's fire spirit dog thing) late last week.  That finished off the "Ten Thunders" box.  Now all that is left to paint this week is a single Ronin.  But I am going to try painting some patterns on her, so it might take me a while.

I managed to play a great "marathon" game against Jay Friday night.  The game went on for 7 turns.  I am starting to understand what my little ninjas can do.  The strategy for the game was Reckoning.  This is a hard mission for smaller games (we both only had 5 models, so there is a maximum of 2 achievable points each).  I used my "smoke and shadows" upgrade to bury and move badly bloodied models away from immediate harm, and thus keeping points away from Jay.  The smoke markers also played a great role by blocking line of sight from my models to his guns (like Lazarus).  I did learn a valuable lesson by the end, when facing Lazarus, spread out!  In one round of shooting, Misaki and Ototo were both almost brought down.

I am really enjoying playing this Malifaux league at Lords of War Games and Hobbies.  The focus is really on having fun.  I like that you don't get more points for winning, but for silly in-game actions (like letting your opponent blindly choose a card from your hand for you to cheat with, or playing a round with your hand open etc).  It is all about the experience and not the final outcome.

Looking forward to week 3.





Kevin

1 comment: