Sunday 26 April 2020

21 - Laying the Foundations

I pivoted a bit this week after working on those larger busts.  I started work on another larger scale figure and broke out the airbrush for it.  I am not great with my airbrush yet.  I am still getting used to the proper mixing ratios and brush control.  So I figured that since I had the airbrush out I might as well practice on something even larger. 

I had some Wild West Exodus terrain that I had primed up, so I picked out one of the buildings.  I really love the terrain from Warcradle,  It is a great combination of classic western with a modern/sci-fi twist.  I also like that the buildings roofs are removable and the interiors are partially finished. 

I chose the Jail to work on.  I grabbed some random browns (mainly older browns that I don't usually use, so if I mess up I don't mind wasting them), and just started to play around with the airbrush.


I was really happy with how the wood turned out. I then did all the metal and details with a brush.  I was trying out a new set of paints for the metals, namely the Metalsmtih paints.  These paints you have to mix your own metallic's to get a bunch of different results.  They worked well, but in retrospect they would have worked better through the airbrush I think (you can see a lot of the brush strokes).  I will try it out on the next one.


Same went with the interior walls.  I should have painted them with the airbrush to get a smoother transition.  It would have taken longer as I would have to have had to do a lot of taping and blocking to ensure that I don't over spray.


To finish off the piece I added some rust to the metal using some brown and orange paint mixed with baking soda.  I then found some Red Dead Redemption 2 wanted posters, shrunk them down and printed them out for the walls.   

Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment