Sunday 19 April 2020

20 - "Meats Back on the Menu Boys"

I have been working on some non-game related project recently.  It has been very rewarding but also very challenging at the same time.  I started to finish up a late Christmas present for a friend of mine and was able to complete it early in the week.  Once I get the plinth made I will take some pictures.

With the first big project done I moved on to my second attempt at painting a bust.  I picked up this Orc last year at the "Sword and Brush" event.  It is produced by a local company, Mollie's Miniatures.  It is a good sculpt, and a great price.  It was the perfect starting point for trying to paint something other then a miniature for the table top.  I highly recommend them if you are looking for something new to paint.

I had an idea late one night to paint this model up like an Uruk Hai from the Lord of the Rings movies.  These are the big nasty orcs that work for Saurman.  I felt comfortable painting up the reddish/brown skin and it gave me the opportunity to try and freehand paint the white hand symbol.

The area on the area on the model that gave me the most problems was the hair and the beard.  I wanted a dirty grey/black colour.  I made two attempts at it but could not quite get it were I wanted it.  I added a chestnut glazes  at the end that helped (and helped tie it into the skin).




I also tried to make a plinth for this model.  This was my first attempt.  I used some scrap pine I had in the garage.  I think I made it a little too big for this particular bust.  I also have to spend more.time sanding it down and applying the varnish.  All in all I am happy with the first attempt.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment