Saturday 21 March 2020

12 - Oh Captains, My Captains

Even though we are social distancing, I am still on the road to Adepticon.   My goal is to finish my last project, a 25 point Avengers team for Marvel Crisis Protocol, by next Tuesday.  For the first time in several months I am really enjoying painting again.  I am looking forward to it each night and trying different things.  For my recent models I am trying to not over highlight as much (I know I am still doing it, adding a highlight where logically there should not be one), but I feel like it is getting better.

I was down to my final three models at the start of the week, Captain America, Captain Marvel and Spiderman.  I decided to work on Captain America first, he looked to be the most intricate and I also wanted to finish Winter Soldier's buddy.

I started by blocking out all the major contours.  I have started to do this step more often and I really do like it.  It helps me see some colour dynamics in addition to limit touch ups later on when apply the first coat of a colour.


I did his shield the same way as Ironman, but completely with a brush.  It would have probably looked better if I airbrushed it but it was already glued down and I did not trust my control with an airbrush yet to not over spray onto the rest of the model. I added a Tim Horton's cup to his base to add a bit of a Canadian twist.


With Captain America done, I moved onto the other Captain, Marvel.  She was relatively quick to paint.  I had done the base-coats of the red and blue last week.  I was then able to finish he off in two sittings.  I played around with some different colours for the blond hair and I am happy how it has turned out.  I used a combination of Citadel Balor Brown, with a Serphim Sepia wash.  Highlights were then done with Balor brown, Scale 75 Sahara Yellow and a final highlight of Scale 75 Tenera Yellow.


One model left, and it is my favorite hero of the bunch, Spiderman.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment