Tuesday 20 February 2018

20/100 - A couple of Old Dwarves

I love extended universes.  I like when different characters connect threw different stories.  For instance, I loved that the Death from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's book "Good Omens" is the same Death from the Discworld series.  My favorite part of Captain America Civil War movie were the cameos of Spiderman and Antman.  I always get a kick when the CW's Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends cross over.

Arguably the best at creating extended universes in literature would be J.R.R. Tolkien.  The man created several complete languages and even wrote the creation myths of Middle Earth.  The two members of Thorin's Company that I painted this week have a roll in both "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings", Balin and Gloin.

Balin is the wisdom and heart of Thorin's company in "The Hobbit".  However he does make a brief cameo in The Fellowship of the Ring...well his corpse does at any rate.  Gloin on the other hand appears alive and well at the Counsel of Elrond in Rivendale in the Fellowship.  However his strongest connection for the trilogy is threw his son, Gimli.


I was not very happy with how Balins face turned out.  I painted Gloins face at the same time, with the same paint and it turned out much better.  Not really sure how Balin went pear-shaped on me.  I might go back at a later date and redo the old dwarf. 

That is 4 members of Warriors of the Lonely Mountain done, only 11 more to go.   

I am going to take a few days off from painting to build some models.  Lots of Legion of Death models to work on!

Kevin



No comments:

Post a Comment