Sunday 28 January 2018

15/100 - A Master Burglar for an Unexpected Journey

Every once in a while you paint a model and everything works smoothly.  The model is clean and simple.  The colours you choose work well.  You may even try out a new technique without a hitch.  Bilbo from the Unexpected Journey box was such a model.

It was a little unnerving how much the model actually resembles Martin Freeman.  It is a simple enough model; the biggest piece of flair on it is the scarf and jacket buttons.  I was worried that I was not going to be able to finish a project this week.  However once I got paint on the model it came together very rapidly. 

When I paint I tend to keep shades and highlights simple.  I paint the raised areas brighter and the deeper areas darker.  I don't usually consider the lighting a character would be under.  The result is models that tend to have a uniformed plastic appearance.  So for Bilbo I tried to keep a fictitious light source in mind when I painted him.  I figured that Bilbo would have the sun above him at Mount Erebor, so I did not highlight the underside of his sleeve much.  I also shaded the stones surrounding Bilbo darker to capture his shadow (which is fairly lost since I dumped snow on it). 

Now Gandalf has his burglar.  Time to start on some of the dwarves.

I also finished painting 3 stands of Ethereal Hosts for my Warmaster Vampire Counts army.  Models tend to paint up fast when it is 95% grey with a wash.
 

I am going to jump back to Batman next week.  I want to try and get a new model painted in time for the Lords of War Birthday event.  Cyborg will be boom tubing in! 

Kevin



No comments:

Post a Comment