Sunday 3 January 2016

The last of 2015 Models

I spent a few days of my Christmas break working on two last Christmas presents (or early birthday presents). I did not think I would get them all done, but I got into a painting groove for few nights where everything just worked out perfectly. On the morning of the 31st I applied the dull coat to both projects.

I've painted a Flames of War model for a friend for the past 3 years. He is usually vague on what he wants (he does not play the game but likes the models). He usually says something like "I want a tank", or "Can you paint me a plane?". This year he was silent, so I figured he did not want one. I was wrong. He mentioned it just a few days before Christmas, so I had to think of something fast. In the past, I had painted him a German Panther, a British half-track and an American Lightning. So this year I went with something a little smaller. I had a Toccoa Sargent from the Band of Brother upgrade. I added some long grass and a piece of rolled up wire as barbed wire.



I have a policy when buying gifts for my nephews. Gifts should have something to do with Dinosaurs or Batman. I figured this policy should also extend to friends. I wanted a dramatic Batman model for this gift. I debated between Frank Miller's Batman and Arkham Knight Batman. I decided to go with the former. I ended up repainting this model when I was half done. I had highlighted the cowl and Batcape, then applied a wash to mute the colour a bit. It was horrible. So I put another episode of the original animated Batman on, put my head down and started from the beginning. I was much happier with the second attempt. This was also part 2 of the gift, along with the Toccoa Sargent.


My buddy Brad really likes the classic "Bowler Hat" Riddler. I had never painted anything for him before (as he is a fellow hobbyist and quite a skilled converter himself). I had also not painted a bright green model since...never actually. I just had to give it a try. I did not have any hopes of finishing this by New Years, however I was wrong. Everything seemed to flow smoothly with it. In the end, I felt like it was one of the best models I have ever painted.


The other bonus of painting two friends' Batman models is, we can now all play the game...

 - Kevin

PS: I was also able to get in a 100-points a side, 4 player, everyone vs everyone game of X-wing


"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living" Terry Prachett

No comments:

Post a Comment