Monday 11 January 2016

Blood Angel Stormraven...in Progress

New year, new...old...old army.  I have not worked on a 40k army for years.  However I have had this project sitting on my shelf for a long time.  I started it shortly after I stopped working for Games Workshop.  They had just released a new Blood Angels rule book.  I wanted to add something to my completed 3rd Company.
The book had the rules for the Stormraven (I think this was the first time it appeared).  It reminded me of a mini-Thunderhawk.  At the time no model had been released.  I had always wanted a Thunderhawk from Forgeworld (but not the grand to pay for it).  I decided to challenge myself (hobby wise) and scratch build my own.

I asked for some help from my friend Brad (my converting guru).  He found some Thunderhawk templates online.  We re-sized them and started to cut some plastic card.  I got the frame built and Brad designed the flight stand (base and attach point on the ship).  We put some metal sheets inside the wings so we could make all weapons magnetic.   This is how the model stayed on my self for half a decade.  


 My first project of the year, I decided, was to finish the Stormraven.  With the frame done, I just had to do the details.

I finished up the rear hatch first.  For the rivets I drilled a hole then glued a bobby pin inside.  I added a couple extra sheets to the sides and cut the recess out for the doors.  I used some Razorback platting for the vents.
 


The model is far from complete.  I still have to clean up the plates, add some more trim and a lot more details.  It is progressing.  (I also have to find 2 more missiles to replace the ones I lost during multiple moves).  

More will be forthcoming over the next few weeks.  I do not think this is going to be a quick project.  

Kevin

"I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it."  Terry Pratchett

1 comment:

  1. easiest way to do rivets is to deform the plastic from the other side if its thin

    ReplyDelete