Saturday 28 September 2019

37 - Bale-man and a Death Eater

Last Saturday (September 21st) was Batman day, a day to celebrate one of the more recognized heroes in the comic and film world-wide.  I wanted to do something to celebrate.  I decided that I would try to paint a new Batman model from Knight Models in a single day, start to finish.  I had the new Dark Knight Rises starter set sitting by my desk, so I chose to paint up Christian Bale Batman. 

I was looking after my daughter for the afternoon, so as soon as she went down for her nap, I put on The Dark Knight Rises and put paint to model.  I made some good progress with layering the grays and glazing them back down with some black.  The model was coming along nicely and with good time, it does help when he is 90% one colour.

Then the doorbell rang.  By the time I cleaned my brush and ran down the stairs the bell rang again.  It was an amazon delivery.  I signed for it and crept back up the stairs, hoping that the disturbance did not wake the sleeping child.  It was not to be.  I could hear my daughter start to stir.  It was not a bad thing.  She woke up and we cuddled and finished watching Batman defeat Bane and save Gotham together.

After she went to sleep for the night, I started back on the model.  I put on the Dark Knight and by the time the credits started to role, Bale-man was done. 


Bale-man in probably the best Batman in the Knight Models game.  He has one of the highest movement values with a 4 (double Bat-fleck).  He has the softer Bat-armour MKII, but that also gives him an extra inch of movement.  He is also the only Batman with Arrest.  So he can lay down a beating and then finish the job.

He is also very counter  efficient due to his Combo-Unarmed.  His only draw back is no re-roll to hit, and there will always be a Bat-wiff at some point.  However if he can pull off a Sneak Attack then he does gain +1 to hit due to Master of Stealth and with his high movement he should be able to do it more often then not. 

While the glazes were drying on Bale-man, I did a little work on my first Harry Potter model, a generic Death Eater from the starter set.   I was trying out the new contrast paints for this model.  I used the airbrush to do a zenithil highlight of white over a black base.  I then did two coats of Basilicanum Grey.  To add a little colour I then used a bit of Warp Lighting on the sash.  I finished him off with a gold mask (although I think I will probably go with a silver one next time).  It wont win any painting contests, but it was quick and time efficient.  I look forward to playing around with the contrast paints more in the future. 

 Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment