Tuesday 5 February 2019

8 - King Shark Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo

If you are a parent with a small child then you probably understand the title, and I am also sorry that that song is now stuck in your head.  I finished painting King Shark this week.  I never really knew much about this character (except for his brief appearances on CW's The Flash), but I loved this model as soon as I saw it!

I went back and tried some more of the painting techniques that I learned recently, mainly Glazing and Layers.  Most of the paint I used was from Citadel (except where noted).  The blue skin of the shark was achieved with a base Incubi Darkness.  Then a series of very thin layers of white.  The whole model was then glazed a few times with thinned Stegadon Scale Green.  I then shaded the recesses with watered down Incubi Darkness, and again with Incubi Darkness and black.


The lighter skin on the abdomen was a Baneblade Brown basecoat.  Then built up Rakarth Flesh through multiple thin layers.  I did a final highlight with Birch (Scale 75).  I finished off with some spot shading with Seraphin Sepia.


I wanted to try something new for the base too.  I made a cast of a resin base to get the a sewer lid.  I then surrounded this with green stuff and used a cobblestone textured rolling pin.  I also wanted to try and paint some of King Sharks shadow on the base.  I did this through a few layers of very very watered down black. 


King Shark is a killing machine in BMG.  At 95 rep he is a higher cost free agent (but still lower then some that do the same job!).  He has a good stat line (although the Defense 3 and endurance 8, without desensitize or sturdy hurts).  To help off set this, King Shark also has "Meta-Skin" (counts as Bulletproof Vest - firearms wound on a +4) and "Regenerate" (1 special counter to heal one damage)


His movement of 2 is not great, but he is deceptively fast.  Since he is "Huge" his base movement is 7.  "Swift" gives him an extra 6 inches if he spends 2 Movement Counters (instead of the usual 4").  Which gives him a threat range of 13 inches.  He also has "Amphibious", since there is rarely water terrain on the table, the real benefit is going through sewers for only 1 movement counter. 

A Blood and Stun attack with "Devastating" (roll 2 Collateral Damage dice) is great.  That is made even better with his "Brutal" (re-roll the Collateral Damage dice).  More chances to knock enemies to the ground and a potential 2 criticals. 

This model can dish out a devastating amount a damage in close combat.  If there is a damage marker on King Shark he gains a free counter to put into attack (due to "Bloodthirsty").  If his target has a damage marker on it already, King Shark gains +1 to Hit, +1 Strength and Bleed 1 (1 blood damage on a crit - even better when combined with Brutal and Devastating!) from his "Blood Scent" trait.  Then to make him just that much more powerful he has "Combo with Claws and Teeth" (gain an extra attack for every 2 attack counters spent).  So King Shark can make up to 7 attacks, dealing 14 damage (7 Blood, 7 Stun) with a potential to do an addition 2 stun or blood on a crit...

I really like King Shark, cant wait to try him out on the table!  Up next on the painting block is another huge model, Clayface. 

Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment