Sunday 15 October 2017

Wayne Financial

I finally finished up a project that had been sitting on my back burner for six months, the Suicide Squad buildings.  Now, I know what you are thinking; how did some pre-printed cardboard buildings take you so long to finish?  The answer may or may not surprise you, I don't like to do anything the  easy way.

When I first got my copy of the SS game I could not decide which of the building fronts I wanted to make.  One side was the rundown, graffiti-covered look.  While the other side was the clean uptown style.  So I built them without glue (which was surprisingly easy).  I figured I could flip it around if I wanted to.  However, as the buildings sat on my shelf the boards started to bow.

I tried to glue and reshape the pieces with no success.  I figured I could straighten the boards by reinforcing it with some foam-core.  It seemed like such a waste to destroy one side of the boards by gluing some foam to it.  Then an idea struck me.

I peeled one side of the boards off.  The card was still thick enough to build one set of the buildings.  Then I just cut it out and built it.  I then glued the peeled piece to a sheet of foam-core.   Then some cardboard to the sides to cover the seams and modified the roof to match my other scratch built buildings.  I made up some gargoyles to hide the holes where the roof supports used to be.  The last thing to mask was the balcony; for one I used a strip of balsa and for the other some spare quarter-round. 

All in all I was very happy with how it  turned out. I think I am going to go back and redo the roofs of the other two SS buildings to match. 

Kevin
 

4 comments:

  1. Those fences are awesome where are they from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaels. Halloween ceramic village accessories. I got 3 packs last week. They where 50% off

      Delete
    2. Micahels at Christmas and Halloween is the bomb.
      Also, these make me want to play DC!

      Delete
    3. Well Jordan, I just happen to have a fully furnished table awaiting some games!

      Delete