Sunday 30 December 2012

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork the Game (a review)

Death, my favorite character
Latin: Make my day, Punk
I have loved Terry Pratchett's books for years.  A long long ago I had a job at a bookstore.  One fateful day I found a copy of "Mort" on the shelf.  I bought it and have been hooked ever since.  So a few weeks before Christmas I found a copy of Discworld: Ankh-Morpork the Game on the shelf at X Plant, I had to pick it up.

The game is very simple but has a lot of tricks to master.  It is for 2-4 players.  Game length can very (we had one game last 1.5 hours and followed by one that lasted 20 minutes).  What was very interesting about the game is how to win it.  There are too ways.  The first is for the draw deck to run out.  At this point players count their money, minions and buildings.  Each is worth a set amount of points, who has the most points wins. 

The second way is what makes the game so much fun.  Each player has a character card that only they know about.  The card tells them of a secret mission that they are trying to do to win the game.  Objectives can be, controlling a certain number of areas, having minions in a set number of locations, or in the case of Commander Vimes (my favorite) you win if no one else wins.  So as you are trying to achieve your secret objective you have to be trying to figure out what each other player has and blocking them.
 
It is a fun game even for people who are not familiar with Discworld.  The first game we played, only one person had read any of the books.  If you are a discworld fan, then you will get a kick out of many of the cards.  I highly recommend it.  We played 4 games back to back and it just got better as we got the hang of it.  


This has been one of my favorite board games, i would give it a 9/10.  If you come across it, defiantly give it a try.

Kevin 





No comments:

Post a Comment